The Society of Animal Welfare Administrators promotes communication that is respectful, honest, and direct. Understanding that there are different philosophies, opinions and views, it is essential that professionals treat one another with respect and dignity and be accountable for a standard of transparency and disclosure. Unfortunately there are attacks on organizations and individuals in our industry that are unprofessional, divisive and harmful to the collective mission. SAWA opposes efforts that encourage threats, hateful or derogatory language, and mistruths.
To assist our members, SAWA collaborated with the ASPCA, National Federation of Humane Societies and Humane Society of the US to develop a humane discourse toolbox. These tools can be used as reference materials and training tools for our members to promote humane discourse, collaboration, and agency assessment on best practices that will help us achieve our mission.
General Materials for Humane Discourse
Tools for Ensuring that Your Facility is Achieving the Highest Standards of Animal Care
Tools for Communicating with the Media
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians’ Guidelines for Standards of Care In Animal SheltersWebinars on ASV Guidelines-DOESN'T SHOW PDF FILE
- Why Transparency?-BROKEN LINK
- Know Your Capacity for Humane Care-BROKEN LINK
- UC Davis Shelter Assessment Tool (contact information to be advised)
- Iowa Infection Control Tool- BROKEN LINK
- Shelter Medicine-BROKEN LINK
- Saving Lives at Intake-BROKEN LINK
Shelter's Edge Blog
- Bert Troughton on Human Systems- BROKEN LINK
Toolbox for Humane Discourse Within the Animal Welfare Community